Future Students

Southern Wesleyan University is a Christ-centered, student-focused learning community dedicated to transforming lives.

SWU Community

SWU students, faculty and staff are something, something, something else about our campus community.

Alumni & Friends

Warriors at heart. Your campus experience may only last a few years, but your connection to Southern Wesleyan can last a lifetime. Stay connected to SWU through events, publications, and social media.

Visitors & Neighbors

Whether you come for a campus visit, fine arts program, or athletic event, SWU seeks to provide educational and cultural opportunities not just to our campus community but to the greater community around us.

VA Benefits

Admissions : Military Students : VA Benefits

There are a number of benefit plans available for eligible veterans. An overview of the ones most often used for enrollment at Southern Wesleyan University is provided below.

GI Bill® is a registered trademark of the U.S. Department of Veterans Affairs (VA). More information about education benefits offered by VA is available at the official U.S. government Web site at http://www.benefits.va.gov/gibill.

The Post 9/11 GI Bill (Chapter 33): The Post-9/11 GI Bill is for individuals with at least 90 days of aggregate service or individuals discharged with a service-connected disability after 30 days on or after September 11, 2001. Veterans, active-duty service members, and their spouses and dependents may be eligible for these benefits. Additional financial assistance is available for eligible veterans through Southern Wesleyan  University's participation in the Yellow Ribbon Program.

The Montgomery GI Bill (Chapter 30): Active Duty Educational Assistance Program, generally for individuals who entered active duty after June 30, 1985 and served continuously for three years or for individuals serving two years on active duty followed by four years of Selected Reserve. To be eligible, veterans must have contributed $1,200 during their first year of military service. Veterans or service personnel cannot withdraw money paid into the fund.

The Montgomery GI Bill (Chapter 1606): Selected Reserve Educational Assistance Program, for members of the Reserve elements of the Army, Navy, Air Force, Marine Corps, and the Air National Guard. To be eligible, reservists must have a six-year obligation to serve in the Selected Reserve signed after June 30, 1985. No contribution is required. Eligibility for this program is determined by the Department of Defense or Department of Homeland Security, as appropriate.

Survivors' and Dependents' Educational Assistance (Chapter 35): Educational assistance is available to spouses and children of veterans who died or are permanently and totally disabled as the result of a service-related disability.

Disabled Veterans Assistance (Chapter 31): Vocational Rehabilitation for service-connected disability of 10% or greater. The benefit provides a monthly stipend and covers the cost of tuition, books and supplies. Eligibility is determined on an individual case basis.

Veterans Education Assistance Program (VEAP Chapter 32): This program is for individuals who entered active duty service between January 1, 1977 and June 30, 1985, have served a continuous period of 181 days or more, and have contributed toward the education program.

How to Apply for VA Benefits

Once you have applied to Southern Wesleyan University, you should then submit an application for VA Benefits.

You may choose to apply to the VA online through the VA Online Application System, or to download the forms and send them to the Department of VA via mail or fax. You can download these forms from the Department of Veterans’ Affairs Web site at http://www.va.gov/vaforms.

To apply with the VA, you will need to complete and submit one of the following forms, along with any supporting documentation indicated during the application process:

  • 22-1990 – Application for Educational Benefits form
  • 22-1990e - Application to Use Transferred Entitlement
  • 22-1995 – Request for Change of Program or Place of Training form
  • 22-5490 – Application for Survivors’ and Dependents’ Educational Assistance form
  • 22-5495 – Request for Change of Program or Place of Training for Survivors’ and Dependents’ Educational Assistance form

It takes approximately 10-12 weeks to process applications. Please wait until 60 days have passed from the time you have submitted your application to inquire about your status. Students who have used their benefits at another school or institution must submit the Request for Change of Program or Place of Training form before they can begin using their benefits at Southern Wesleyan University.

Once the Department of Veterans Affairs has determined your eligibility, you will receive a Certificate of Eligibility in the mail. You must submit a copy of the letter to the School Certifying Official before enrollment can be certified

Students receive educational checks from the VA on a monthly basis. Renewals are not automatic, and you should verify enrollment each month through the WAVE system at https://www.gibill.va.gov/wave/index.do or call the VA at 1-877-823-2378.