Future Students

Southern Wesleyan University is a Christ-centered, student-focused learning community dedicated to transforming lives.

SWU Community

SWU students, faculty and staff are something, something, something else about our campus community.

Alumni & Friends

Warriors at heart. Your campus experience may only last a few years, but your connection to Southern Wesleyan can last a lifetime. Stay connected to SWU through events, publications, and social media.

Visitors & Neighbors

Whether you come for a campus visit, fine arts program, or athletic event, SWU seeks to provide educational and cultural opportunities not just to our campus community but to the greater community around us.

Transfer Guides and Credits

Admissions : Transfer Students : Transfer Guides and Credits

Transfer credit is typically awarded for courses taken at regionally accredited colleges and universities, provided such courses meet the degree requirements of Southern Wesleyan University A maximum of 68 semester hours may be transferred from two-year colleges. No credit will be given for courses for which the grade earned was less than a "C-". Courses from two-year institutions may not be accepted if they are not designated as "College/University Transfer." We offer specific program transfer guides below for local two-year colleges. The final determination for awarding transfer credits is made by Academic Records in consultation with the appropriate academic departments.

Transfer Guides for Local Two-Year Colleges

In partnership with local two-year colleges, Southern Wesleyan University has developed transfer guides for specific degree programs to transfer easily into specific four-year degree programs at Southern Wesleyan.

Aiken Technical College

Spartanburg Methodist College

Greenville Technical College

TriCounty Technical College

Midlands Technical College

Trident Technical College

Spartanburg Community College



Transferring to SWU from any South Carolina technical college

Most courses offered at the South Carolina technical colleges toward the Associate of Arts (AA) or Associate of Science (AS) program transfer to Southern Wesleyan University. Please refer to the SWU Transfer Course Guide below to determine what SWU course may be equivalent to a specific technical college course.

Transfer Course Guide: PDF or Excel

Note that if student has not fully completed the AA or AS degree, a grade of C- or above must be earned in order for a course to transfer to SWU. 

SWU can only accept 68 credits in transfer from the technical college (or other two-year institution).

If a student has successfully completed all requirements for the Associate of Arts or Associate of Science degree within the past five years at one of any of the South Carolina technical colleges or Spartanburg Methodist College, Southern Wesleyan agrees to the following:

  • Guaranteed admission to any of the bachelor of science (BS) or bachelor of arts (BA) degree programs offered by Southern Wesleyan University, whether campus-based, adult evening, or online. (Submission of a completed application, official transcripts, and any designated test scores is still required before admission can be granted. Also, some majors such as Education have additional admission requirements which must be met before being a candidate for the degree.)
  • Guaranteed that all credits earned at the technical college will transfer to SWU regardless of final grade (up to 68 credits).
  • Guaranteed that all SWU general education requirements will be considered met with the exception of BIBL 1013, 1023, RELG 2403 and the Personal Wholeness sequence.

Evaluation of International Coursework

Applicants from non-U.S. institutions should request a course-by-course evaluation from World Education Services (www.wes.org), or from another evaluation service approved in advance by Academic Records. Southern Wesleyan University will consider the recommendations but no guarantee of acceptance is implied. The final determination for awarding transfer transfer credits from non-U.S. institutions is made by Academic Records in consultation with the appropriate academic departments. However, no credit will be awarded without an evaluation from an approved service.

Permission to Take Coursework Elsewhere for Current Students

Students who have already been accepted, or are currently enrolled should request permission prior to enrolling in courses at other Institutions. Students in the Adult and Graduate Studies Programs should contact their advisor for the appropriate form. Students in the traditional programs should complete the request form available on MySWU. Except with special permission, transfer credits may not be among the last thirty-two hours of the degree.

Credit for Advanced Placement, CLEP, DSST and IB

Students may receive credit for acceptable scores on the appropriate College Board AP, CLEP, or DSST exams. Current students should request permission prior to taking any CLEP or DSST exam. International Baccalaureate (IB) Diploma Programme graduates may also be awarded credit for appropriate scores on their Higher Level exams. Currently IB credit is evaluated on a case by case basis with the final determination made by Academic Records in consultation with the appropriate academic departments.

AP transfer equivalencies (pdf)
CLEP exam transfer equivalencies (pdf)
DSST exam transfer equivalencies (pdf)